Oil Sludge in Toyota Engines
Toyota settled a class-action engine-sludge suit in 2007 that covered an estimated 2.5-million Toyota and Lexus vehicles made between 1997 and 2002. In that case, Toyota agreed to repair 'sludged-up' engines for up to eight years from the t…
Prius Headlight Problems
Prius owners are up in arms about the performance of their high-intensity headlights. Known formally as high-intensity discharge (HID) lights, they either work intermittently -- making nighttime driving a lot more 'exciting' -- or fail enti…
Where Lights Complaints Happen
Sometimes it helps just to tally up the complaints and see where the biggest stacks are. Use this information to learn about troublespots or to run for the hills.
- 2007 Prius headlight randomly turns off while driving 135 (100%)
- 2008 Prius headlights malfunctioning 83 (61%)
- 2006 Prius headlights go off occasionally 79 (59%)
- 2008 Prius intermittent headlight failure 68 (50%)
- 2010 Prius lights stopped working 43 (32%)
- 2005 Prius headlights turn off on their own 31 (23%)
- 2009 Prius HID light failure 31 (23%)
Someone at Toyota forgot to make sure the new RAV4 Prime's headlights are only adjustable by a certified mechanic.
And that's a no-no under federal law. So here we are, less than six months from when they were first made available for sale and 700 owners of the PHEV SUV are already dealing with their first recall. At least they were able to get their hands one.
The recall is expected to begin in early January 2021 and will make sure the headlight's aiming caps are properly closed.keep reading