Where Hvac Complaints Happen
Sometimes it helps just to tally up the complaints and see where the biggest stacks are. Use this information to learn about troublespots or to run for the hills.
- 2012 Camry foul smell when you turn on AC 23 (100%)
- 2014 Camry musty smell from A/C 16 (70%)
- 2013 Camry moldy wet smell from ac/heat vents 11 (48%)
- 2013 RAV4 musty/sour smell from the ventilation system 10 (43%)
- 2007 Camry cold air does not come out of all vents 8 (35%)
- 2014 Corolla A/C not working properly 6 (26%)
- 2013 Highlander odor from AC 6 (26%)
Toyota has blamed a musty A/C smell on microbes [i.e., mold] growing o the evaporator surface and now a lawsuit wants them to do something about it.
The plaintiffs claim the vehicles have defective heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems that cause smells and health problems from mold that collects on the evaporators. Numerous complaints have allegedly been filed with the government, Toyota and Lexus dealerships nationwide since at least 1999.
This isn't the first time Toyota has been sued for musty A/C units.keep reading
The Toyota Camry stinks and now there's a lawsuit intent on proving it
. The Camry's ventilation and air conditioning system (HVAC) uses an evaporator inside the vehicle's dashboard. According to the plaintiffs, as cold refrigerant passes into the evaporator it mixes with warm air from the passenger cabin to create moisture. The condenser moisture mixes with things from the HVAC's outside vents – dead insects, pollen, leaves, and other fun stuff – to eventually turn into a moldy and stinky mess.…keep reading